Don José de Arnaz' Los Angeles County Ranch

Don José de Arnaz' Nineteenth Century holdings in the old Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes made up a two and a half square mile ranch in what would be West Los Angeles .   Into 1939, one half square mile of the Arnaz Rancho remained farmland.  In 1949, the county district of "Arnaz" (already homes) was incorporated into the City of Los Angeles, all but ending the100 year arc of the Arnaz name on the land. 

Before and after California was part of the United States, José de Arnaz was buying parts of the 1821  Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes land grant from a grantee's sons, brothers Secondino and Francisco Higuera, who owned it jointly.  In 1849, Arnaz bought Secondino's undivided half-interest, and, in 1867, he bought Francisco’s.  (From Romance of a Rancho , The Beverly Hills Citizen, Volume XVII – No. 2, June 23, 1939.)  
 
The sales, however, could not be considered as final until the Higueras had proved their claims before the United States Land Commission.  From 1852 until 1869 they, aided by the influential Arnaz, fought to hold the rancho.  The litigation was complicated by the fact that squatters had moved in on parts of the land.  Descendents of these squatters became social and business leaders of Los Angeles.  Arnaz always carried a rifle, and used it in more than one instance, finally evicting most of the squatters from the land and clearing the title.  The patent was eventually issued August 27, 1872.

( Romance of a Rancho)  The plat (shown below), "Finally Confirmed to Francisco Higuera et al.," was recorded on October 12, 1872.
Plat of the 3127 acre Rancho Rincón de Los Bueyes as approved by the United States Surveyer General (December 29, 1871), approved by the Commissioner of the General Land Office (August 22, 1872), and recorded (October 12, 1872).
1875 - Division of the Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes
The Los Angeles Herald reported on April 2, 1875, "An interlocutory decree entered awarding to plaintiff [José de Arnaz] an undivided one-half of land in controversy, less 250 acres to defendant Rocha, 100 acres to defendant Dionisio Botiller and 200 acres to defendant Higuera."  ( L.A. Herald, April 3, 1875, Court Reports, Arnaz vs. Higuera .)

Soon after the court's decree, in May and June 1875, the Rancho Rincón de Los Bueyes was "Surveyed by order of the Commissioners appointed by the 17th District Court Los Angeles."  The survey shows José de Arnaz with 1506.23 acres, Francisco Higuera, 1355.1 acres,  Dionisio Botiller with 172.9 acres, and Antonio Jose Rocha with 88.75 acres.  The "L. A. & I. R. R." shown is the Los Angeles and Independence Railroad

The Map of the Rincon de los Bueyes surveyed by order of the commissioners (referees(?)) appointed by the 17th District Court Los Angeles (Hervey M. Smith, C. Cabot, and [?] A. Hoover) and filed October 12, 1876.  Generally, the northern part of Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes was Arnaz' and the southern was Francisco Higuera's
1880 - Francisco Higuera's Tract
This Francisco Higuera tract map was filed on June 15, 1880, "at the request of  A. W. Ryan."  "Hill Land" at left is now the Cheviot Hills subdivision ; "Rough Hills" at the right reach up into Baldwin Hills.
1889 - José de Arnaz' Subdivision
​​The following map (displayed in two parts, west and east) "recorded June 24, 1889 ... at the request of Jose de Arnaz" shows Arnaz' subdivision of the 1506.23 acre Arnaz Ranch on Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes.  The larger lots (A through E) of hilly land to the west had parcels ranging between 73 and 126 acres.  The smaller lots, on flatter land to the north and east, were generally 20 acres.  The road between lots 32 and 21 is Arnaz Avenue, now Robertson Boulevard.  The road immediately west was Anguisola Avenue, which was vacated in 1906 .  
Western portion of Don José's subdivision, which included hill and larger lots.  Higuera's land is below the numbered and lettered lots.
​​Eastern portion of Don José's subdivision (with Higuera's tract beneath it).  Adjacent to Lot 26 is "adobe," signifying  Antonio José Rocha's adobe  – which survives to this day
Exterior view (c. 1864of Antonio Jose Rocha's adobe (now 2400 S. Shenandoah St., Los Angeles).  Digitally reproduced by the  USC Digital Library; from the California Historical Society Collection at the University of Southern California .
Exterior view (Aug. 2018) of Antonio Jose Rocha's adobe.  (Photo by "Craig B" on Google Maps.)
Rancho Rincón de Los Bueyes from  official 1888 Los Angeles County map   overlaying modern Google Earth map.  It shows Arnaz' subdivided Lots A-E at upper left and Higuera's land beneath them.  Louis Sentous (1848-1911) appears to have succeeded to much of the Rocha and Botiller land beneath Arnaz' easternmost lots. 
Arnaz apparently did not sell many of the lots from his subdivision during his lifetime.  A year after his passing, the western hilly land was partitioned then sold.  On April 25, 1896, a court divided of Lots A, B, C, and E of the Arnaz ranch among the children/devisees of the late Don José and his first wife, Maria Mercedes de Avila (1832-1867), according to her will and his Romance of a Rancho details the division:

Before his death at the age of 74, on February 1, 1895, Don Jose had drawn a will dividing his rancho into two parts.  He drew a line bisecting the rancho approximately north and south, along the eastern boundaries of what today is the Hillcrest Country Club.  All west of this line went directly to surviving children by his first wife; all lying east of the line went to his widow to be held in trust for herself and her surviving children.  ....  They received shares varying from 80 acres to 200 acres, depending upon the value of the land, whether it was level or hilly, watered or dry.  These shares, totaling over 1000 acres, they disposed of at different times to different parties.

Mercedes' heirs sold their property soon after the April 1896 partition.  On May 21, 1896, Merced Abila's inheritors conveyed Lot E for $4500 (about $44 per acre) to Arthur F. Gilmore; on May 27, 1896, Gilmore got Lot A for $3640 (about $35 per acre) ; Lot B for $3640 (about $35 per acre) ; and he took Lot C on July 29, 1896, for $4700 (about $45 per acre) .  Gilmore (1850-1918) was a dairy farmer who had struck oil while drilling for water.  His son, Earl B. Gilmore (1887-1964), developed Gilmore Oil Company.   The family still owns Farmers Market at Third and Fairfax .

In July 1905, Arthur F. Gilmore (through his agent Charles Stilson)  
sold Lots B, C, and E  to the Burkhard Investment Company (a family corporation formed in 1912 by Joseph Burkhard (1848-1928)) for about $200 an acre.  Lot A holds part of the Country Club Highlands tract.  Lots B and C would become the bulk of today's Cheviot Hills Recreation Center – after passing through a few more owners.  Most of Lot E would make up the  Monte-Mar Vista subdivision.  Lot D and and the northern portion of Lot E would hold the Hillcrest Country Club.  Given subsequent oil drilling, it would be interesting to know if oil rights were part of the sale.
Like their half-siblings before them, Arnaz' heirs by his second wife, Doña Maria Camarillo de Arnaz, largely waited for the land to be partitioned by a court before selling it ten years after his passing.  In the interim, Doña Maria "continued raising cattle, making wine, and growing grain, aided by a trusted foreman named Olvera."  ( Romance of a Rancho .)  The partition case, entitled Maria C. de Arnaz v. Louis G. Olivaris, may have been prompted by Louis Olivaris' lease on the property (reported in the Dec. 13, 1900, L.A. Herald under the heading "Attachments").  Shortly after the  case concluded on June 8, 1905, with the court's approved distribution, the heirs started selling.  
​​On June 9, 1905, the Los Angeles Herald reported the partition of the eastern half of the Arnaz Ranch under the headline "Old Spanish Estate is Finally Settled" :​​

By a decision handed down by Judge Bordwell yesterday in the Arnaz case, the rancho Rincon de Las Bueyes, one of the finest pieces of farming property in the southwest, was finally distributed and a complete and amicable settlement made between the heirs of the late Don Jose de Arnaz, who died February 1 [1895].

The Arnaz property consists of about 800 acres of farming land on the electric line between Los Angeles and Santa Monica.  The electric line cuts through one corner of the property, leaving 86 acres on the one side and a little over 647 acres on the other.  When Senior [sic] Arnaz died, seven heirs laid claim to the property, which, according to court value, is worth $140,000, but which according to real estate men is worth a great deal more.  At the same time, L. G. Olivaris entered action for $1500 mortgage on the property.  John Wolfskill, John B. Arnesty and John B. Sanchez were appointed referees and their opinions formed the base of the  decision given yesterday.  

Attorney Thomas L. Wynder was allowed $3500 fee, and each of the referees was allowed $50.

" Romance of a Rancho " has the Rindge/Marblehead Land Company interests buying the Arnaz ranch in 1904.  ("In 1904, with court approval, she sold the property to Mrs. Ringe for $125,000, of which the court awarded her $40,000, the remaining $85,000 being divided among her children in proportion to the value of the tracts Don Jose had set aside for them.")  The Los Angeles Times told the same story:  “‘The new [Beverlywood] development was conceived more than a year ago when a syndicate of local investors acquired the noted Arnaz Ranch from the Marblehead Land Co., which had held ownership since 1904,’” Leimart explained.”  ( LA Times, June 2, 1940 .)  T his writer has not located that 1904 sale, and it is unlikely that expensive/large a parcel was sold before the 1905 partition. 

Instead, there was a  $125,000 sale on June 25, 1905 , when R. C. Gillis, "one of the principal land owners between Los Angeles and the ocean" bought the 625 acre Arnaz ranch "through Leo J. Maguire & Co. for Maria Carmarillo [sic] de Arnaz and her children, heirs of the late Don Jose de Arnaz."  A couple of days later, on June 27, 1905, the same paper reported that "Edward F. Tripp and associates have paid R. C. Gillis $140,000 for the Don Jose de Arnaz rancho of 625 acres.  ....  Mr. Gillis bought the acreage last week for $125,000.  The purchasers will subdivide and improve the property."  
1923 - Added to the City of Los Angeles
In 1923, the Ambassador Addition added most of the Arnaz Ranch and some of the Francisco Higuera property to the City of Los Angeles as shown on the following official map.​
Rindge/Adamson/Marblehead Land Company
Westview Park & the Adohr Creamery
In the mid-1920s, the Marblehead Land Company developed the Westview Park neighborhood, Tract 8020 (a resubdivision of Arnaz' Lots 2 and 3), offering residential and business lots north and east of  the $500,000 creamery it was building on fourteen acres of its Arnaz Ranch land.  "Centering around the new Adohr Creamery, now rapidly nearing completion, a community development calling for an expenditure of more than $3,000,000 is planned for the historic old Arnaz ranch" reported the L.A. Times on May 30, 1926 .  
February 17, 1924, full-page Westview Park advertisement in the Los Angeles Times.
Bird's-eye rendering of planned Adohr Creamery.  ( L.A. Times May 17, 1926 .)
On May 17, 1926, the L.A. Times reported that construction was under way for Adohr Creamery Company's ambitous new plant "on a twelve and a half acre site at the corner of La Cienega Boulevard and Eighteenth street."  "With three shifts of men and a twenty-four-hour schedule the work of finishing the buildings and installation of machinery is going foward rapidly, and the owners expect the plant to be in operation early in June."  (Ibid.

The "owners" of the creamery were the daughter and son-in-law of Frederick H. Rindge  (1857–1905):   Merritt H. Adamson (1888–1949) and Rhoda A. (Rindge) Adamson (1893-1962).  "Between 1905 and 1940 with an estimated net worth of between US $700 million and US $1.4 billion, the Rindge family was widely considered one of the wealthiest in the world."  ( Wikipedia .)   The Adamsons also owned Adohr Milk Farm (a.k.a. Adohr Stock Farms) at 18000 Ventura Boulvard in Tarzana ; in the 1920s, it had the "largest pure-bred herd of Guernsey cattle in the world."  ( L.A. Times, Aug. 22, 1926 .)  The Rindge-Adamson family owned and operated the Adohr enterprises (named for Rhoda – her name spelled backward) between 1916 and 1966. 
In March 1928 Marblehead Land Company used the Arnaz Ranch as security for bonds it issued:  " some 600 acres of land, partially subdivided, situate in Los Angeles, California, east of and adjoining Hillcrest Country Club.  Appraised value 3,775,400 ."
Adohr Creamery Company truck on La Cienega Boulevard in front of creamery headquarters(1930).  (Courtesy of USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection .)
Adohr Creamery's "Special Service" "Ice Cream" car – an Austin car (1930).  (Photo courtesy of USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection .)  "The American Austin Car Company was an American automobile manufacturing corporation.  The company was founded in 1929, and produced motorcars licensed from the British Austin Motor Company from 1930 through 1934, when it filed for bankruptcy."  ( Wikipedia .)
Adohr Creamery from front (1931).  (Courtesy of Los Angeles Public Library - Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection.)
One of the Adohr cow and milkmaid sculptures.  Photo from the  Danton Burroughs Memorial Site & Family Archive  ( showing several such examples of these common sort of advertisements ).  Burroughs, which covers Tarzana  history, says, "T his sculpture was later painted white while placed in front of the Adohr Creamery located at 1801 South La Cienega Boulevard (ca. January 1931).  Note the La Brea oil wells along the left horizon."  The surviving Adohr sculpture is outside Suputo, Inc. 's Morningstar Foods dairy plant at 605 North J Street, Tulare, California.
Adohr Creamery's  delivery fleet serviced at the Creamery (1933).  (Photo courtesy of USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection .)  
1950s Adohr milk delivery advertising card with the cow and milkmaid sculpture in the background.  ( Eric Wienberg Collection of Malibu Matchbooks, Postcards, and Collectables, Pepperdine University Special Collections and University Archives )
"By 1966, the price of cattle feed had skyrocketed and the Adamson trustees were forced to sell Adohr Farms to the Southland Corp., which would change hands again more than two decades later.  Making room for the Ward Plaza shopping center and the Westview Park subdivision, the dairy was torn down in 1969."  ( L.A. Times March 1, 1998 .)
Oil and Land Fortunes Replace Arnaz Ranch with Beverlywood
In March 1910, the Herald reported  that a court would allow the Frederick Rindge estate to lease Lots 7 to 11 of the Arnaz tract to West Coast Oil for twenty years in exchange for "one-sixth of all the oil and gas produced."  It is unclear what came of that drilling.  Without many neighbors, there did not appear to be much controversy or reporting.  That would change in the next decade. 
At about the same time May Rindge's daughter and son-in-law were building their creamery, in 1927, Rindge's Marblehead Company had leased out part of their Arnaz Ranch to Standard Oil, which started drilling wells.  That set off a decade-long battle with neighbors.  Here's historian Nathan Masters telling the story in " Monte Mar Vista:  Luxury Homes With a View (of an Oil Derrick) :

A wildcat well next to a housing development was nothing special; oil companies were drilling across the Southland to find new petroleum deposits.  Most communities were powerless to fight back, even as forests of derricks crowded their homes.  But the well-heeled residents of Monte Mar Vista -- today part of L.A.'s Cheviot Hills neighborhood -- had the political muscle to elbow out oil operations.

The derrick stood inside an otherwise picturesque ravine.  Cattle still grazed on the land, a 320-acre tract leased by Standard Oil, but the steel structure compromised Monte Mar Vista's bucolic atmosphere and raised questions about noise and air pollution should the well strike black gold.

Before Standard Oil could turn its drill, Fred W. Forrester, a sales agent for Monte Mar Vista who also lived on one of the subdivision's choice lots, filed suit.  Joined by other real estate interests and two neighboring country clubs, Forrester obtained a temporary injunction against Standard Oil.  As the litigation unfolded, the city rescinded a zoning variance it had issued to allow drilling on the site.  Standard Oil and the landowner, May Rindge's Marblehead Land Company, countered with a federal lawsuit that slowly worked its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court.  But by 1931 the housing developers had won.  The derrick came down, and the residents' views were restored -- until the ravine and hills became home to their own suburban housing tracts.
Oil rig on the Arnaz Ranch as seen from a Monte Mar Vista home (1927).  Huge hay bales are on the eastern horizon.  (Courtesy of USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection .)
 One of a series of 1928 photos of "houses under construction" taken for  Monte-Mar Vista developer/sales agent  Fred W. Forrester.  Forrester's "Terrace View" house  is shown at left, with a derrick at center right.  Beyond Forrester's home (to its near upper right), the white building may be the Adohr Creamery.  Beyond the other house (by the cluster of trees) is the Pacific Military Academy .   (Courtesy of USC Libraries - Dick Whittington Photography Collection .)
July 17, 1928, Fairchild Aerial Surveys photograph (for Standard Oil Company).  The Arnaz ranch house is just below the center; Adohr Creamery is to its far right (at La Cienega Boulevard S-curve ); Benedict Channel (draining Benedict Canyon ) runs along the left; and the  Pacific Military Academy is at bottom left. (Photo courtesy UCSB Library Aerial Photography Collection .
The below 1934  L. A. Herald article ( pasted in the Monte-Mar Vista/Cheviot Hills American Legion post's history scrapbook tells of the post and Harry Culver's California Country Club fighting oil drilling on Marblehead's Arnaz Ranch.  Mr. Culver's 3 1/2 acre Castle Heights  estate adjoined the country club and was south of the ranch.  Before the decades' end, they would win, and it would mark the end for Marblehead's Arnaz ranch.
In 1939, the remaining 330 acres of Arnaz ranchland were sold by the Marblehead Land Company to make way for Beverlywood.  It was a transaction between some of the biggest landowners of the past century, whose fortunes turned on oil.  The buyers were scions of the Dominguez family – heirs to the Rancho San Pedro grant whose fortune was made in oil.  The Rindge family, one-time owners of the Rancho Topanga Malibu Sequit and once among the wealthiest in the world, lost the right to drill for oil on the Arnaz tract, so they had to sell it amid the pressure of the Great Depression.  In 1938, they'd lost control of their Malibu ranch when their Marblehead Land Company was reorganized in bankruptcy.  ( L.A. Times, June 30, 1938 .)  Their Adohr Creamery remained until 1966.  

A contemporaneous article ( Romance of a Rancho The Beverly Hills Citizen, June 23, 1939) explained:

[D]uring the depression years, Mrs. Ringe’s empire began to collapse under its burden of taxes.  Her holding company, the Marblehead Land Company, ran into serious financial difficulties.  But the old Arnaz rancho Mrs. Ringe held onto stubbornly.  Several years ago the company saw a prospect of developing the land as an oil field.  Surrounding residents raised such a storm of protest, however, that the city council and planning commission of Los Angeles finally rejected the proposal by narrow margins.  Recall of Mayor Shaw and ousting of his brother, Joe, put an end to oil-drilling schemes in the area.

"[A] group of prominent Los Angeles financiers – whose names for various possible reasons [were] not being disclosed – formed the Beverly-Arnaz Land Company to the purchase the tract for $750,000."
Photo text:  "Approached by a dirt road from Robertson Boulevard, the old ranch house of Don Jose de Arnaz occupies a commanding position on a hill among palm trees.  To this house he brought his second wife and his many children in 1885, inviting the entire countryside to the house-warming which was also a birthday and coming out party for a daughter.  After his death the widow eventually sold to Mrs. Ringe, who rented it first to a Basque family and later to an Italian family. The house is to be torn down shortly.  An ultra-modern home will probably occupy its commanding site."  ( Romance of a Rancho .)
​Looking west from the second-story doorway of the Arnaz' ranch house, "which once led to a balcony across the back of the house, this picture shows the barn in the foreground and the bean-planted fields behind which will become homesites."  ( Romance of a Rancho .) 
​1939 Map ( Romance of a Rancho )
​​The Dominquez family (among them Carsons, Del Amos, et al.) was unusual in that they had held on to most of their  Rancho San Pedro land grant, rather than subdividing or losing it to litigation expenses or taxes.  ( Rancho San Pedro covered  over 120 square miles:  today's Carson, Compton, Gardena, Hermosa Beach, Lomita, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, Torrance, the western portions of Long Beach and Paramount, and the Los Angeles communities of Harbor City, Harbor Gateway, San Pedro, Terminal Island and Wilmington.)  While rents may have kept them comfortable, they became extraordinarily wealthy after oil was discovered under their land.  They sold their oil and rented land for tank farms and refineries, hold it all through family corporations.  Their oil wealth enabled them to buy the Rindge/Adamson family land - even if they could not drill on it.  There was (or would be) oil drilling and production on nearby Hillcrest Country Club and Cheviot Hills Recreation Center.

An  inventory of the Rancho San Pedro Collection , held by California State University, Dominguez Hills, describes the Dominguez/Rindge transaction:

In 1939, H. H. Cotton and H. H. Jarrett headed a syndicate formed to purchase property known as the Arnaz Tract from the Marblehead Land Company, owned by Malibu heir and Los Angeles benefactress Rhoda Rindge Adamson.  In April, 1939, the syndicate incorporated as the Beverly-Arnaz Land Company, with Cotton as President and Jarrett as Director.  Also on the board was noted Los Angeles developer Walter H. Leimert.  By 1940, the Arnaz Tract was being developed as Beverlywood, a subdivision located near Beverly Hills and what is now Century City in the Los Angeles area.  The company was voluntarily dissolved in 1946 and its assets liquidated.

Hamilton (H. H.) Cotton  was a Monte-Mar Vista resident – something advertised by the  Monte-Mar Vista  tract's developers in 1925 .  Cotton was another founder of San Clemente, together with Ole Hanson ; the latter  had a hand in developing Monte-Mar Vista and was friends with Cheviot Hills developer Frans Nelson.  Cotton's 1926 San Clemente house, La Casa Pacifica , became President Richard Nixon's Western White House.   Hardin (H. H.) Jarrett may have been familiar with the Arnaz ranch from his time working for the nearby Hauser Packing Company.
Oil production finally did come to the Arnaz Ranch.  With slant drilling in the 1950s, the pools of oil under Arnaz' land would be extracted from wells on the Rancho Park Golf Course and Hillcrest Country Club.  It was not without controversy tied to the Marblehead Land Company, which “[s]old to Beverly-Arnaz with the provision that if oil is produced, the property would revert back to Marblehead Land.”  ( L.A. Times Sept. 14, 1958 .)   “Sold to Beverly-Arnaz with the provision that if oil is produced, the property would revert back to Marblehead Land.”  (Ibid.)  In the end, the matter was resolved without any reversion.
The above drawing explaining slant drilling is from a newspaper article headlined, "'Drilling Won't Hurt a Bit,' Oil Firms Assure West Side Residents."  ( L.A. Times June 29, 1958 .)
This slant drilling was not without controversy, some of it tied to the Marblehead Land Company, which “[s]old to Beverly-Arnaz with the provision that if oil is produced, the property would revert back to Marblehead Land.”  ( L.A. Times Sept. 14, 1958 .)   “Sold to Beverly-Arnaz with the provision that if oil is produced, the property would revert back to Marblehead Land.”  (Ibid.

Most residents supported drilling (and the royalties).  In 1958, Signal Oil and Gas Company (founded by Samuel B. Mosher in 1922 on his Signal Hill extraction), had "signed up the following percentages of property owners in these areas:  east of Beverlywood, 82%; Rancho Park-Westwood Gardens, 85%; Palms Mar Vista, 81%; Cheviot Hills 57%; area north of Beverlywood, 70%."  ( L.A. Times Sept. 22, 1958 .)  With 75% support, Signal was able to have the City create an oil drilling district as Beverlywood h omeowners, who had been concerned about a fight with Marblehead, ultimately supported drilling as well.  (See, L.A. Times Jan. 31, 1960 .)  Other measures to allay earlier concerns included lowering the height of the derrick in Hillcrest Country Club ravine and shielding it with trees.  ( L.A. Times Aug. 03, 1957 .)  
Oil drilling at Rancho Park Golf Course, September 8, 1959.  (Courtesy Los Angeles Public Library, Herald-Examiner Collection .)
Remains of "the Day"
Today, Arnaz' stamp on the land has been nearly erased.  In Summer 1926, Arnaz Avenue, the main street east of Don José's ranch house, was renamed.  " Isadore B. Dockweiler and a number of property owners" wanted to simplify road names:  Pruess, Arnaz, Seward, and Sherman became Robertson Boulevard in  honor of developer George (G. D.) Robertson .   ( L.A. Times Aug. 3, 1926 .)  
Until 1949, the "Arnaz" community remained an island of unincorporated Los Angeles County land.  The "Arnaz" label had applied to the area at least as early as 1916, when Bulluck's Department Store  listed it as a delivery area.  ( L.A. Times Dec. 10, 1916 .) 

On July 26, 1949, the Arnaz Addition annexed to the City of Los Angeles  "93 acres and 2400 citizens" after "the citizens of Arnaz voted 489 to 101 to become part of Los Angeles."   Don José had bought his first interest in the land one hundred years before.
Today, Arnaz Drive (traversing Los Angeles & Beverly Hills) is the last local marker – though it is more often  linked (wrongly) to Desi Arnaz than to Don José.